The Brennan torpedo was invented by Louis Brennan in 1877. Two propellers were rapidly spun by wires wound up inside the torpedo being released. Once launched from a land station, the weapon could potentially hit a target 1,800 metres away, travelling up to 31mph. Whilst Louis Brennan was Australian, the British War Office reached an agreement with him in 1883 and an experimental station was was built at Garrison Point Fort, Sheerness. A workshop was built as the nearby Chatham Barracks and various tests and experiments were held before it was recommended to be used as a harbour defence weapon in 1886. It was used as a standard habour defence for over 15 years at stations across the UK including the Isle of Wight and Plymouth, but also further afield including Hong Kong and Malta. It’s thought that the very first station was the one at Cliffe Fort; which still remains in a ruined condition today.