Our photographs from 2016, 1990s photograph of the cottage by Vince Heatherson, outside and inside the Northwick Cottage in 1920 – note the clogs hanging on the wall as a nod to the house’s origins, and finally earlier photograph from 1905 showing the cottage less overgrown
The Northwick 1618 Cottage
Canvey Island was drained and embanked by the Dutch engineer Cornelius Vermuyden in the 17th century. Numerous Dutch workers and their families settled here and they built rather unusual octagonal cottages of which two still survive. One cottage, west along Canvey Road, was built in 1618 and is now run, on the Borough Council’s behalf, by the Benfleet and District Historical Society as the Dutch Cottage Museum. Given to the then Canvey Island Urban District Council in 1952, it was restored, repainted and had its conical roof re-thatched ready for opening as a museum in 1962. Further extensive restoration works have been carried out to the cottage. The rooms of the cottage, which include a living room, passage and large and small bedrooms, now contain a variety of exhibits that illustrate the history of Canvey Island, including models of the types of sailing craft which passed the Island from Roman times onward. Attached to the cottage is a modern demountable exhibition hall that houses the many exhibits.
The Museum is open from Spring Bank Holiday to September from 2.30 to 5.00pm, on Wednesdays and Sundays and 10.00am – 1.00pm and 2.00 – 5.00pm on Bank Holidays. Tel: (01268) 753487.
111 Years On – 1905 and 2016
Various artifacts from the museum including light post from the 1931 Opening Bridge and the remains of a V2 bomb that landed on Canvey during the Blitz. We hope to return soon to update our photos.
The Village 1621 Cottage
One cottage, in Haven Road, was built in 1621 and is still in private ownership after being restored and redecorated. It wasn’t until almost a century after Cornelius’ reclamation of Canvey, to whom we owe great respects to this day, that Canvey was invaded by the Dutch and ‘taken over’ to an extent.