Pictured above is a black and white photograph showing the initial platform and station, as well as recent photographs of the remains of the brick trackbed, a Kynochs bridge was widened for D-Day movements as it was wider than standard-gauge permissions allowed, imprint of the railway sleepers under the grass, and a possible Kynoch waterway
The Corringham Light Railway was a line built in 1899, opened in 1901, as part of access to the Kynochs munitions factory on the site of what is now Coryton. It went from the London Fenchurch/Tilbury/Southend line at Thames Haven down to Corringham and Kynochtown to allow for transport to and from the munitions site but was used as late as 1971 for oil refining activities.
The line has been at first glance removed without trace, but plenty of remnants begin to appear when you follow the line closely which we did in 2013 with the Corringham Light Railway Preservation Society with great thanks to Lisa Sargent. We found remains of the CLR and Kynochs munitions works all the way from the housing area near the Pegasus Club in Stanford-le-Hope out into the remote farmers fields where we stopped. We found ponds near the Pegasus Club that would’ve been used for brick works serving the railway, as well as sewage works left by Kynochs serving the works colony, and also Brickfield Bridge now in the water-logged fields that the CLR would’ve run over. Trackbed remains such as sleepers, and surrounding fences, still survive too. The station platform at the start of the CLR also surves in a garden in a residential area. Inside Coryton refinery, which is of course heavily guarded due to terrorist threats, the 1919 Coryton Station platform survives.
Pictured above are ponds for brick-works serving the railway (with yellow cone), CLR platform in a garden (below trees, behind fence), photos of the walking party we joined in 2013 with Lisa Sergent’s CLR Society, Coryton/Shell Refinery pipes, mystery concrete in the fields the CLR used to run through, metal stye on the footpath women used to get to the railway, Kynoch’s white fencing, and a railway sleeper with stays to prevent the train derailing being used as a fence-post. B&W images show the trackbed, Coryton-end station, and a train carrying Mobil supplies after the line was converted